Gum disease, gingivitis, periodontitis. You may have heard of them but what are the gory details, If you’re interested in sustaining healthy teeth or at least having them stay away from any worse, read on.
The good news is usually you’re not alone – something like 80% of people have some sort of gum condition. Gingivitis gets its name through “gingiva” meaning gums and the nicely know “itis” meaning disease. Gum disease is more correctly called gum disease. Periodontal means “around the teeth”.
Did you know that teeth are backed by the gums and anchored in order to its socket by fibers known as periodontal ligaments, There’s a space between the teeth and the gums. Periodontal disease effects this area. It can cause teeth to become loose as well as fall out. Nasty stuff! Even much less fun is that gum disease may play a role in ulcers, heart assaults and even strokes.
What are the indications of gum disease/periodontitis,
– Your gums bleed during brushing. This is not good, not normal.
: Gums become overly red or even swollen.
– Visible puss between teeth.
– Bad breath might be a sign of problems as it may end up being caused by diseased tissue. For instance puss doesn’t usually smell as well good.
What To Do If You Suspect Gum Disease,
Definitely go to see a dentist. Hiding from the truth is not going to help. If you have some form of gum disease, is actually only going to get worse without specialist. The usual course of treatment involves climbing. Scaling removes plaque and tartar from the gum line.
In situations where the problem has progressed for an advanced stage, periodontal surgery might be required. This is a serious plus expensive process so don’t be scared to ask for a second opinion if this is usually recommended as a first course of action.
Of course you needn’t get chewing gum disease in the first place. Here are some methods to prevent it:
– Brush your teeth at least twice the day. This will remove back plate which results in tartar, which plays a role in gum disease.
– Use the toothpaste which includes fluoride.
– Floss, every day! Some plaque can not be reached by a toothbrush. Flossing is not really optional, it’s as important since brushing.
– An anti-bacterial mouth rinse can help prevent bacteria from getting established.
– The biggest problem with your teeth’s health is glucose. Consuming less will not only help your overall health but your teeth’s health too. Fizzy drinks and lollies are usually basically nutritionally valueless sugar. Giving them to your kids, or yourself, is similar to giving a small dose of toxic.
Your teeth should last a long time. Looking after them will not only keep your natural smile but could save you thousands of dollars in dental visits as well as dental surgery. Be warned!